subreddit:

/r/AskMen

[deleted]

all 32 comments

AgentMe321

26 points

1 month ago

Comparison is the thief of joy

Dvrza

13 points

Dvrza

13 points

1 month ago

Stop giving a fuck about how much money you need to make and the idea of a “career.” If you make enough to provide for your basic needs, live a little, and eat well, then my advice is to stop chasing the dollar. At a certain point money no longer matters especially if you basically live at your job. Start doing things that you enjoy for yourself. Live for today, tomorrow’s too late. Don’t be conditioned into this false sense of “career building” that is forced down our throats. Nobody died saying “I wish I worked more.”

lusciouslou91

-1 points

1 month ago

Some people worry about money because they can't pay rent each month.

Dvrza

Dvrza

1 month ago

This guy seems like he makes enough to live a healthy life, yet he seems to think that making more money will make him happier. This is not the case, and I feel terrible for anybody who thinks so. His solution is to take back more of his life and to start doing what he can for himself rather than a company.

ProjectAwktober

8 points

1 month ago

“Worrying does not take away tomorrow’s troubles, it takes away todays peace.”

rhino1003

6 points

1 month ago

Practice mindfulness! I used to be the same way and now I just live on a day to day basis. I have a middle ground of knowing what I want from my future but understanding it’s not dead set and bound to change so no point in over stressing.

ihurtmysubtoday

6 points

1 month ago

Just learn to live in the now, that's all there is to it.

xandi1990

2 points

1 month ago

This. The book the power of now by Eckhart Tolle is great!

[deleted]

5 points

[deleted]

5 points

1 month ago

As long as I have my bills paid and a roof over my head/job I just let go of worrying about the future, although I do plan accordingly for it. I got rid of social media and stopped drinking (6 beer in the last year) stopped smoking (forcibly by the legal system albeit) and got really real with myself. Became a person I actually love and am comfortable being and am becoming more proud of. And just finding joy in little things day to day. Being optimistic and rational. I try to think of the silver lining in all things. Oh, I smashed my finger with a hammer today? But I got to be outside all day and hear the birds chirp. I managed through lifestyle changes and alot of introspection to get off anxiety and depression medication, self medication and realized, I am worthy of happiness, even if I'm not where I want to be. Financially, for example. If I keep positive and active towards my goals I'll be okay.

Im_probably_naked

4 points

1 month ago

Find small things to be grateful for. Try to name 5 things every morning you're grateful for.

lobibobo

4 points

1 month ago

If you come up empty, try again. You woke up, that's one.

343-guilty-mendicant

5 points

I wish I hadn’t

lobibobo

1 month ago

Me neither, but if you're struggling to find things to be grateful for, at least you still have the chance to feel better some day

343-guilty-mendicant

5 points

I guess?

LazySwashbuckler

3 points

1 month ago

To me it sounds as if you need a new job.

I worked alternating 12h day/nights on a rolling irregular schedudle for four and a half years.

When I first heard we were being outsourced I was scared, I had no idea of how I was going to manage to find a new job, six months later and while I didn't have a job lined up right then, as I handed in my badge and said goodbye to the guard, I felt free, I walked out into the warm sunlight of a Stockholm summer evening and felt free.

Two weeks later I had signed a new job, with regular hours, better pay, way better commute, and I was happy.

A few things lingered though, for the last four and half years I had treated all spare time as rest time, that habit took years to break, I have time and energy to do things after ending a workday, it is amazing.

What really changed a lot was me getting a new camera, it was a budget mirrorless camera, a Panasonic Lumix GX80, I got an awesome super zoom lens and a fast prime, I have taken 20 000 photos with it in the last 4 years, it has given me so much joy and made me go out and find new cool places just so I can photograph them.

I am currently planning an upgrade, I thought about going for the Panasonic Lumix S5, but the lenses are just too expensive for me at the moment, so I will get a g90 plus a load of other awesome equipment for the same price as the S5 and one lens.

For me the answer was photography, and I would recommend the GX80/85 to anyone who has even the slightest interest in photography but don't know where to start, the value is fantastic.

lobibobo

2 points

1 month ago

I got off social media where people's posts made it look like all they do is have fun and never stress or pay bills or go to work.

Everyone does these things, and almost everyone hates it. You have to enjoy the times between what we've come to think of as "life". Work isn't life, if you make it your life, you're probably going to be miserable forever

Uneventfulrice

2 points

1 month ago

I learned to enjoy life by throwing away all thoughts of ever finding a truly objective meaning to life in general and turning my attention towards pleasures that didn't need to make sense.
I used to wonder why I liked what I did and now I still sometimes do but always push it aside because I do not want to spend time finding out because finding out is impossible for whatever I said wouldn't be true as soon as I said it or even as I thought it.
Whatever you are feeling that you like, go to it as soon as you sense it, feel it, see it, just go for it, all out and without shame or regret and you will discover what you want.

hdyec001

2 points

1 month ago

You’re going to miss out on your life if your minds in the future.

searchuserdatabase

2 points

1 month ago

All the conflict in your life is caused by resisting what’s so. If you can accept life exactly as it is, that’s where you will find true happiness.

nyehu09

nyehu09

1 month ago

I stopped obsessing over trying to enjoy life.

Nesher86

1 month ago

You're not buried with your money or your job title... you never no when your day will come, might be a good idea to enjoy the ride (I can easily tell you abut 3-4 people I knew that died before the age of 30 - most I knew from the army but they didn't die in combat.. just bad luck)

Crazed_waffle_party

1 month ago

I discovered I have dysthymia, A.K.A., treatment resistant depression, which affects about 3,000,000 Americans. Medicine and therapy have been ineffective. I am awaiting a meeting with a neurologist to see if my problem is neurological

343-guilty-mendicant

You don’t

Badoreo1

1 month ago

Live in the present. The future is that, the future. Be prepared but don’t stress.

Salty_Paroxysm

1 month ago

To the best of my knowledge, it's the only life we get, may as well have fun.

Try and do well by people (family, friends, colleagues, strangers), but not to the detriment of your wellbeing.

Go by the golden rule and you can't go too wrong.

Frigoris13

1 month ago

I learned to enjoy life by traveling - just driving across the US and eating new things, seeing new things, finding stuff I didn't know I would like. I put on strange clothes and talked to strangers about their lives. I don't know, I need to get out of my comfort zone and see how others live sometimes and that keeps me grounded

ShakaAndTheWalls

ShakaAndTheWalls

Apache Attack Helicopter

1 month ago

Didn't. Just take a look at my post history

putcoolusernamehere

1 month ago

I have constants in my life that I enjoy doing. Listening to new music (and concerts when safe), playing poker, watching sports, watching tv shows, etc... also dating is a huge driving force for me. Those things always leave me something to look forward to.

LevelConsideration64