subreddit:

/r/WatchPeopleDieInside

69.1k

"It was only a light push"

(i.imgur.com)
[media]

all 2423 comments

QualityVote [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

QualityVote [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Hi! This is our community moderation bot.

If this post fits the purpose of r/WatchPeopleDieInside, UPVOTE this comment!!

If this post does not fit the subreddit, DOWNVOTE This comment!

If this post breaks the rules, DOWNVOTE this comment and REPORT the post!

Mehdidab

5.4k points

Mehdidab

5.4k points

2 days ago

No attempt at playing the ball+ denying a goal opportunity= definite red card.

z_z1

1.5k points

z_z1

1.5k points

2 days ago

Ah, glad some people realise the rules of the game.

DefinitelyNotJoelQ

550 points

2 days ago

Yes because he was the "last line of defense," according to the rules. You prevent a goal, that's a red card.

Kckc321

354 points

Kckc321

354 points

1 day ago

I feel so justified. When I was like 12 in a tournament 3 girls FOOTBALL TACKLED ME as I shot to score and they only got yellow carded. My whole team was like, wtf do you red card for if not that?

amidon1130

250 points

amidon1130

250 points

1 day ago

Should have crowded around the ref and shouted at them like the pros do. May not get the card that time but next time...probably won’t get it either I don’t understand why pros do that.

krillsteak

92 points

krillsteak

92 points

1 day ago

They’re crazy competitive that’s why. Emotions run high.

rolllingthunder

38 points

1 day ago

Isn't it a thing in Rugby that only one person can talk to the ref for your team? That at least makes sense. Have your little ambassador and keep any potential drama from further ruining the case you are trying to make.

_McLeod_

21 points

_McLeod_

21 points

1 day ago

Only the captain can respectfully talk to the ref (on the whole, though there is often quite a lot of chatter). The array of penalties available to the ref makes enforcement easier. Even just losing 10m more because of backchat is expensive in a game of territory.

You crowd or dis the ref? Penalties, sinbin, etc. The ref is an important part of the game, they set out the official line on what is happening and thus which rules apply.

drquakers

drquakers

1 day ago

I believe in international football only captains are meant to talk to the ref.

Never enforced.

vonzeppelin

1 day ago

Pros just.. aren't always the brightest despite their skills.

TurtleFcker

15 points

1 day ago

Children rarely get cards in football :/. I’m a goalkeeper, and passed the ball. 2 seconds later, the other girl kicks me so hard I couldn’t move for 2 weeks, and couldn’t play for half a year. Still that bitch only got a yellow card

ConorT97

8 points

ConorT97

8 points

1 day ago

Someone kicked our goalie in the face when he clearly had the ball and they never even got a card. Coach almost got ejected he was so mad

the_sandman425

1 day ago

I played in local recreational soccer for a few years, one of our coaches got banned for a couple of games for yelling at the ref and pulling our team from the game early, our goalie had a cleat mark on his back and we knew who stepped on him, but the ref refused to do anything about it.

miraclegun

1 day ago

Can confirm, I referee’d u10-u16 games back in High School. Our supervisors always stressed to us to not issue red cards EVER and only give out Yellows for major infractions. Never really questioned it, never felt like I had to pull a red. Only ever gave 1 yellow in my 4 year tenure as a referee.

burnt-turkey94

152 points

1 day ago

If you’ve played soccer/football, you also know that when you’re running full speed like that, a “light push” can send you flying. It’s not like American football where the pads make a loud crack and there’s a definitive collision. There are exceptions to all this, of course, but I think a lot of my fellow Americans don’t “get it” if they’re not fans of the sport.

Probably because most of us have never run farther than from the sidewalk to our cars when it’s raining.

adjective____noun

63 points

1 day ago

Even in NFL, this would've been a defensive pass interference penalty.

Capt_Hawkeye_Pierce

14 points

1 day ago

Pass interference is kind of funny to me because as soon as their fingertip touches the ball you can send them to the shadow realm.

soberunderpar

1 day ago

I don’t know why but this comment made me laugh my ass off. Thanks!

Capt_Hawkeye_Pierce

1 day ago

Probably because you've seen receivers folded in half so hard it hurt YOU.

Aardvark_Man

13 points

1 day ago

AFL is a full contact sport, and a push in the back like that is still a free kick against.

Good way to fuck up someone's hamstrings.

JNaran94

20 points

JNaran94

20 points

1 day ago

People really want to act like pushing someone running faster than what cars can drive in some cities will do nothing

burnt-turkey94

8 points

1 day ago

It’s really frustrating. I played for years (can’t now, I’ve had 5 knee surgeries and it is not happening lol) and even at an amateur junior high level you can see people go flying with the right kind of contact/speed. Plus this was in the 18, on a likely goal attempt.

There are occasional flops. It happens. But there are some that seem innocuous that are actually pretty dangerous situations.

dankman69420lol

4 points

1 day ago

I play soccer so I know what you’re talking about, when you’re running full speed it doesn’t take much for you to go down cause if your step is slightly off there’s nothing you can really do to correct yourself and then bam, on the ground

burnt-turkey94

1 day ago

Plus, like in this clip, you can slide right into someone. And sometimes that person might be cleats up. I’ve seen more than one person get cleats to the face.

A2Rhombus

A2Rhombus

1 day ago

I learned this lesson playing with a younger kid in my neighborhood. Was playing a game of tag and gave him a light push from behind, sent him stumbling face first into pavement. Felt awful.

BreweryBuddha

42 points

2 days ago

On top of that, pushing/pulling + dogso also = red card

sanesame

5 points

sanesame

5 points

1 day ago

100%, if he actually went for the ball maybe it's a yellow. But there was no attempt and he clearly stopped a goal scoring opportunity.

Frogman1480

Blatant red. Well said 👏

Wiamly

1.8k points

Wiamly

1.8k points

2 days ago

Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is a cardable offense. You’ve gotta enforce that shit otherwise every time a star player gets in the box they’ll get bodied.

People complaining about this call haven’t played or watched soccer enough to see the other side of the coin if this isn’t called and red carded

heavyjayjay55aaa

224 points

2 days ago

Its DOSGO as well as an upper body push which isnt a play on the ball, hence the red card. If he tripped him then it wouldve only been caution + pk

LewixAri

86 points

LewixAri

86 points

1 day ago

It would only be a yellow card if he made a genuine attempt to play the ball. Pushing him upper body or sweeping his legs are both a red card in this scenario.

lawlikemusic01

1 day ago

The other thing to consider that you can't see in this clip is did that ball go in . And if so was the goal allowed

New_nyu_man

11 points

2 days ago

There have been so many great players who injured themselves and never reached their peak again because foul plays like these were not penalized enough and eventually lead to an actual injury

leehwgoC

204 points

leehwgoC

204 points

2 days ago*

If a light push is done to prevent an apparent goal-scoring opportunity, straight red is justified. It doesn't have to be violent, only effective.

I see another top comment arguing the attacker flopped because he outdribbled himself. May or may not be true. Doesn't matter. It's on the defender to keep his hands down when he's trailing like that. If the attacker let himself fall from the illegal contact, that's just gamesmanship.

It doesn't help the defender in any legal way to reach his arm out for contact. He's pursuing, he can pump his arms in a natural sprinting gait. Anything else is his risk.

ImaLilBitchBoy

52 points

1 day ago

Idk shit about soccer but I agree

DueViolinist9

2.8k points

2 days ago

His face when the ref pulls out the red card is hilarious

if_lol_then_upvote

976 points

2 days ago

Someone should make a subreddit for showing pics and videos of people making those kind of faces.

misspussy

326 points

misspussy

326 points

Killed_Mufasa

342 points

2 days ago

nah perhaps something more like r/WatchFolksDieInside?

notverygoodatenglish

211 points

2 days ago

That’s a stupid name. I was thinking more r/seehumansinternallyperish

FloydC910

129 points

FloydC910

129 points

2 days ago

Idk, r/observeearthlingsexpirewithin has a better ring to it

0x60881c0d

65 points

2 days ago

What is an "earthling sex pire"?

linkedtortoise

23 points

2 days ago

Hello fellow human, A sexpire is a form of humanity that feeds on other humans by forcing them to play chess.

tomatoaway

12 points

2 days ago

I always knew the chess club had a dark history

KvotheTheBlodless

57 points

Killed_Mufasa

63 points

2 days ago

that one is by far the worst suggestion I've heard so far, doesn't make any sense at all! /s

Taishar-Manetheren

11 points

2 days ago

dang I was set on r/ViewMortalsInnerAnnihilation

random_name4837

56 points

r/watchpeopledieinside Edit: I’m an idiot I didn’t realize this was the sub

Terminator2a

19 points

1 day ago

You should not have edited, it appeared as sarcasm.

AfrobotFactory

108 points

2 days ago

Well yeah that's the joke

Sir_Jeremiah

39 points

2 days ago

I’ve been noticing an increasing trend of people pointing out the punchline/purpose of a post like it brings something new to the discussion.

AfrobotFactory

12 points

1,4k people seem to think so, sad

negedgeClk

26 points

2 days ago

I also watched the video.

CreamyCheese123

40 points

2 days ago

That's why it's in this sub.... C'mon keep up.

Cleft_Lips_That_Grip

17 points

2 days ago

That’s the whole point of the post...

munnmuun

12 points

munnmuun

12 points

2 days ago

Hah didn’t see that, thanks for mentioning that

Naisu_boato

4.7k points

Naisu_boato

4.7k points

Ref: you dun goofed.

Edit: holy crap, I’ve never had a comment thumbed up so much. Thank you guys.

MrMytie

3.3k points

MrMytie

3.3k points

2 days ago

Definitely a red card. The guy pushed him in the back. Mbappe deserves a red card for his hair cut.

EngelskSauce

710 points

2 days ago*

Last man, red card for sure.

Edit: some of you guys are taking this too far, some are being a tad rude, I enjoy the banter but hold up.

I’m not including u/IsThatASexToy in this as that passion really made me laugh.

And footballs called whatever you want it to be called, don’t take the banter too bloody seriously!

IsThataSexToy

357 points

2 days ago

What in the literal and figurative fuck?!? Watch the hands again. They are both entangles. That is as much a push as it is a pull from Mmm-bop. He just did a wonderful flop when he realized he out dribbled himself.

KlondikeChill

535 points

2 days ago

Mbappe clearly uses his right arm to push off his defender and create space.

Then when he feels a tiny push, he lets his right leg go dead and does nothing to try to keep his balance.

This is why I can't watch soccer 🤷

dinofragrance

104 points

mc360jp

43 points

mc360jp

43 points

2 days ago

Bruh, that ref is telling everyone to fuck off for like a whole two minutes trying to talk to the two players involved AND MOTHERFUCKERS KEEP WALKING UP TO THEM.

I couldn’t be a ref, I’d eject them one by one as they kept coming up to me lol

TheRedU

9 points

TheRedU

9 points

1 day ago

I love soccer but holy shit some of the players are so annoying and they make watching painful at times.

Smished

184 points

Smished

184 points

This is why I can't watch soccer 🤷

diving/gamesmanship exists in every sport, the only difference is how the fans act. for some reason American fans think games like basketball, AmFootball etc have none of this

you're right though, Mbappe 100% played for the penalty and the contact was nothing like his reaction

The_Dirt_McGurt

71 points

2 days ago

The difference is the impact of dives. In soccer, dives like the one in this post just granted his team a player advantage for the rest of the game. Dives in soccer often end up with PKs, and considering the average number of goals in a soccer game less than 3 (Prem league is 2.72 according to google), that’s a HUGE advantage.. one goal is 36% of the total goals expected. There’s really no comparison between that and, say, the NBA, where a dive can, at MOST, get you 3 free throws. If you assume they hit all 3, those 3 points make up maybe 1.5% of the ~200 points you an expect in a full game...

so to reiterate the game changing impact of dives in soccer is unrivaled, and as a result it’s a viable strategy (according to the numbers above it’s literally 24x more impactful than in basketball). And that’s what makes it suck, it makes more sense in the gif we just saw for Mbappe, an unbelievable athlete, to flop onto the ground than for him to show off his tremendous skill by trying to stick with it and score despite the minor shove he received. Dives are robbing us of good plays and it makes soccer a much worse product, more so than in any sport.

mobilityInert

31 points

2 days ago

Your argument is both logical and supported by math, no wonder it is so criminally underrated.

I will just stick to UFC with it's eye pokes and heinous dick kicks.

The_Dirt_McGurt

14 points

2 days ago

Eye pokes are the scariest thing imaginable to me haha. Like i've been kicked in the dick, but the idea of a killing machine throwing a jab at my face and then flourishing his fingers out to destroy my eye? Holy fuck!

I do love UFC though!

KlondikeChill

160 points

2 days ago

There are a ridiculous amount of assumptions in this thread.

The NBA has recently become significantly more flop-heavy and I absolutely hate what it's doing to the game.

The nature of football, it's pretty hard to flop. I've seen Mahomes flop when he ran out of bounds, but no penalty was called and the announcers called him out on it.

1998_2009_2016

13 points

2 days ago

Football has less flopping, but the refs have far more influence over the game and are more inconsistent IMO. About one in four NFL games is infuriatingly unwatchable for me due to the refs.

SkittlesAreYum

114 points

2 days ago

You must not actually know any American fans. Big floppers in the NBA get mocked mercilessly.

DAHFreedom

93 points

2 days ago

I bumped into James Harden at a Starbucks once and the refs let him shoot for three

DJToastyBuns

11 points

2 days ago

One time I was looking at my phone while walking, and suddenly I got ejected after Trae stopped in front of me

Aeiexgjhyoun_III

31 points

2 days ago

Same with football. Neymar is endlessly criticized for his flopping.

Bridge-Money

8 points

2 days ago

See how often he gets kicked and doesn't get a call? Not a huge Neymar fan, but going down is the only way he gets a call.

ThePointForward

2 days ago

Not to mention the league can and does review plays after matches and dishes out penalties for flopping.

too_old_throwaway

8 points

2 days ago

You say that as if footballers are cheered and cherished for diving.

cantadmittoposting

2 days ago

Oh come on, players flop on pass interference and holding all the time, only the fans just call it "selling the foul" and most of the time nobody highlights it when the original "foul" was nearly or completely nonexistent.

NFL definitely has floppers

jkman61494

17 points

80% of pass interference calls involve a form of diving or gamesmanship

KlondikeChill

2 days ago

Yea I agree. PI is something that needs a rules revision, that's definitely my least favorite aspect of football.

Rabid_Llama8

1 day ago

My biggest gripe with PI right now is how many addendums have been tacked on like shitty patches. It's like you can't do a, except when b and c, but you can't do b when d and you can NEVER do e, expect this super specific f. It takes a lawyer to litigate PI penalties at this point.

Hyatice

Hyatice

2 days ago

Honestly this sort of thing should be reviewed by a second set of refs with access to electronic reviewing equipment.

Keep the game flowing - let the ref on the field make the call - but then the next time there's a pause, for any reason, call down with a change to the call, reverse the red flag and yellow/red flag the flopper.

Regarding OP's video: not sure how much this would change. He was definitively and deliberately pushed, regardless of the severity/how hammed up the reaction was.

But I've definitely seen other videos where it's so obvious of a flop that it should be punished.

darthbane83

2 days ago

Well you dont want people pushing an opponent from behind and see how hard they can push to get the opponent to just be a bit slower instead of bringing him to fall and you dont want people to just fall down at every little touch.
The solution would obviously be video review and to hand out additional punishments after the game that go into effect for future matches, but for some reason no sport wants to do the obvious.

Would be so easy for referees to see this clip and tell both players to keep their little grabbers to themself, stop the diving shit and sit out the next game(s) of equal importance if they didnt get punished in this game.

Smished

Smished

2 days ago

running with your hands by your sides isn't possible dude, not at this level

CarlCaliente

25 points

2 days ago

It's not the diving and gamesmanship that drives me nuts, it's all the theatrics that take place afterwards. In the NBA you flop, look for the call, your teammates help you up. Soccer you get lightly shoved, you collapse to the turf and barrel roll fourteen times as if you're a sopwith camel pilot trying to dodge the red baron. Didn't happen in this clip but you see it multiple games a game

the idea that you can embellish the foul to try and draw more severe penalties is ridiculous

trustworthysauce

58 points

2 days ago

He didn't outdribble himself though. He is closest to the ball even after he falls. This was a foul that denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. Red card. Despite what all the people who don't watch soccer are saying in the comments.

Miserable-Pass-3456

39 points

2 days ago

Exactly. It’s not how hard the foul was, it’s because the defender was the last man and he denied Mbappe a relatively great scoring opportunity.

People don’t understand that Mbappe is extremely fast, and that at those speeds even the slightest push can put you off-balance.

I_escalate_shit

11 points

2 days ago

Absolute fucking pish. Running at that speed and minimal contact is going to send you flying. Correct decision. Foul. Red card.

cierbhal

cierbhal

2 days ago

I’m just sitting here trying to figure out the shape of an entangle. My stupid brain read it as ent-angle instead of en-tangle.

IsThataSexToy

2 days ago

It is defined as an eight dimensional object with only one internal angle. Once you figure that out, you will receive a Nobel prize, then your head will immediately implode.

kundalini666rising

5 points

2 days ago

Yeah internet, stop being a tad rude.

GroovingPict

29 points

2 days ago

It's not the offense itself that got him the red, but being "last man" and robbing him of a clear goal opportunity.

afreaking12gage

11 points

2 days ago

As an R8, that is a DOGSO foul, or a “Denial Of Goal Scoring Opportunity”

Totally legit red card there

provit88

32 points

provit88

32 points

2 days ago

Just checked the video in slow mo: the card is indeed red 👍

AbsoluteShambles

2 days ago

Looks like a professional foul as he was denied a goal-scoring opportunity, so red card for that.

KvotheTheBlodless

33 points

"Where's Alucard?"

"I killed him!"

"Killed him?"

"Cut off his bloody head!"

"Oh, that's step 1. How about 2-10?"

"Ah Christ-"

"You dun goofed."

crescentfresh

bavasava

bavasava

2 days ago

Now, I love TFS for their DBZA run. Is this worth a watch?

witz0r

5 points

witz0r

5 points

2 days ago

Absolutely. It's primarily Takahata's baby, but the effort put into it is outstanding.

Naisu_boato

2 days ago

Well actually was a jessi slaughter ref from her dad to anonymous.

Habib_Zozad

1 day ago

The consequences will never be the same

M88L8

1.9k points

M88L8

1.9k points

2 days ago*

For people thinking the red card was uncalled for, it wasn’t. If the attacker was close to the goal or a good scoring opportunity and he gets pushed away or someone intentionally makes him fall, it’s a red card no questions asked. Also he’s Mbappe, currently one of the best soccer players.

Joanisi007

600 points

Joanisi007

600 points

2 days ago

Agreed, but what does him being good have to do with anything?

Darth-Buttercup

535 points

2 days ago

Him being good meaning there's always special favors granted to superstars. Kobe, lebron, tiger, tom brady, messi and so on.

Toggel

239 points

Toggel

239 points

2 days ago

Wait till year hear about the NHL where they do the opposite to make sure their stars take as much abuse as possible to make the rest of the league not look bad.

ThrustoBot

65 points

2 days ago

It happens plenty in the NHL too. Calgary fan?

I will edit after a quick minute reflection to say that it is leagues better at favoritism than most sports. But still happens plenty.

sinkwiththeship

53 points

2 days ago

Crosby chopped Marc Methot's finger off and got no punishment.

Toggel

30 points

Toggel

30 points

2 days ago

There are a lot more examples going the other way. Watch McDavid play, he should draw 5-6 penalties a game. This year he even got called for goalie interference after the two different players took out both his legs on a rush sending him into the goalie.

Winnie_Cat

10 points

2 days ago

Yeah Im a Canucks fan, but even I can admit that if we were calling penalties 100% by the book, McDavid would draw a penalty every shift. He's just too fast.

Toggel

Toggel

2 days ago

I am sure EP and Hughes are in the same boat!

Rory1

Rory1

2 days ago

That used to happen in the NBA.

moeburn

moeburn

2 days ago

Haha this is complete opposite in baseball. You being a superstar means every single ump wants to fuck you. One of them was even on twitter a couple years ago bragging about how he threw Josh Donaldson, 2015 MVP, out of the game.

Why do all these other sports have refs that try and protect the stars, but MLB has refs that try and punish the stars? Cause it's true I've seen the same thing in basketball, refs won't call fouls on Kobe but will if someone touches him. But in baseball if there's a big famous star stepping up to the plate, ump is gonna start calling balls a foot out of the zone as strikes.

Sterxaymp

2 days ago

Might be because there's a higher likelihood of players causing injury to other players in the other sports if the refs don't nip it in the bud

bronet

4 points

bronet

4 points

Everyone except Curry, lol

Lankience

11 points

Lankience

11 points

2 days ago

I know the definition of what a "travel" is has changed a lot in the NBA as a whole, but nobody gets away with it like Lebron. There was a playoff game like WAY tf back in 2008 or something, Cavs vs Wizards, Lebron legit took like 4 steps for a crucial shot that won them the series. Since then he has been able to walk half the court and never gets called for traveling, it would be gross to watch if he wasn't so insanely talented lol.

Also since then the wizards have only gotten worse and I irrationally blame him and that missed travel call for it.

teremaster

2 days ago

Harden never gets called either

ColdMedi

4 points

ColdMedi

4 points

2 days ago

Bro y'all are wild. They do get called for it. They play over 90 games most years ofc there's gonna be a few times a ref doesnt catch it, but most times what the player does is legal. Any ball dominant superstar is obviously gonna get away with a travel or two here and there because they have the ball so much.

Babladuar

2 days ago

i don't like harden but his step back is not a travel

skiptomylou1231

2 days ago

I feel like a lot of people here in DC share that mentality lol. I'm not a Lebron hater but that win last night against the Lakers was pretty sweet.

toomanymarbles83

1 day ago

That game where he literally stops dribbling and walks with the ball at his side.

This one.

atmafatte

20 points

atmafatte

20 points

2 days ago

Well i think he meant there is a slightly bigger chance that he might score from that position than an average player

candlest1ckjack

1 day ago*

I’d love to imagine the same situation occurring with a less-than-average player, and the ref not giving a card. When the player asks why not, he says “I mean... were you really going to score? Really?! You?”

M88L8

63 points

M88L8

63 points

2 days ago

Not really, but I was going through the comments and people seemed not to know who this guy was. And he might not be as popular now, but he’s on his way to be the next best soccer player in the world.

funkyzeit

35 points

funkyzeit

35 points

2 days ago

He is on the cover of the current FIFA video game, he's also currently a world champion with France. If people don't know him by now, I doubt they'll ever know him.

RedMoon14

13 points

RedMoon14

13 points

2 days ago

Pretty sure that's why he's letting those who still don't know him know who he is.

michaelpinkwayne

2 days ago

Theoretically it doesn’t, but if soccer is anything like the NBA, refs tend to call fouls more on superstars.

CrazyWS

39 points

CrazyWS

39 points

2 days ago

We literally see the goalie after the push, it was close

Conflictedbiscuit

13 points

2 days ago

This is what basketball lacks. End of game, players start fouling purposefully and there is no good ramification for the foul. Make it 4-5 for 1 minute and you’ve got the clock mattering again in basketball.

Kizz3r

Kizz3r

2 days ago

The ramifications are the opponents get free throws and you get a possession. And nope. Taking a person out of the court is disastrous, doesnt matter how good your defence/offence is you would give up a substantial lead in a 4-5.

KellyBelly916

336 points

2 days ago

Before all the bleeding hearts mess up the comments section, let me explain the situation from the perspective of someone who's played competitive soccer for nearly two decades.

Any contact from the back is automatically penalized, a guaranteed yellow if it interrupts a developed play as a "strategic foul". When a developed play is inside the 18 yard box, that's when you have to be extra careful. If you foul the attacking team within it, you risk a penalty shot that almost always translates to a goal. If you foul someone intentionally as they're about to score, you risk a red card and a penalty shot.

The foul you see here is every deadly soccer sin in one moment. He intentionally fouled the striker who had the ball from the back, during a developing play, inside the 18 yard box as he was making a scoring run. Even if it was outside the 18 which takes the penalty shot out of the equation, the goalie in pink was only yards away from him meaning that it was a very desperate situation for the defense. This red card is perfectly warranted and if he didn't send him off, the ref would've lost control of the game.

Red cards aren't just for sending off Frenchmen head butting shit-talking Italians, it's to draw a line for fair play within the standards of officiating. This was absolutely the correct call.

D10S_

65 points

D10S_

65 points

2 days ago

Not to mention he is sprinting as fast as he can, any substantial contact will make you lose balance

fopiecechicken

34 points

2 days ago

And for Mbappe, as fast as he can is VERY fast. I can’t think of many players in any sport as fast as him aside from legit track athletes.

Think he got clocked at almost 25mph in a match the other day, you get pushed in the back going that fast and you’re gonna lose balance.

xtremedragox

4 points

1 day ago

That's one of those things some fans and the people who make memes about falls don't really understand. When you are full sprint, a small amount of disturbance will throw you off. With that said, flopping is still very real lol.

GreenArrowDC13

12 points

2 days ago

From this five second clip it looks like the attacker pushed off the front of the other guy to get ahead. Is it legal for the attacker to push to create distance? He looks faster than the defender so I'm not sure why he needed to create distance. Also when you get pushed from behind your body doesn't just go limp and fall. You tend to take a few more steps then tumble. Dude probably could have still scored even with the arm tangle. Kinda just looks like he gave up on the play to draw the foul.

KellyBelly916

11 points

2 days ago

That's a great question. Any player can absolutely push in general as long as the arm isn't fully extended for a push off. This is typically left to the the ref's decision and is overall arguable which is partially why players flop. If you're asking about this instance, the offense made no illegal contact and you can even argue it was within the player's natural range of motion. Most skilled attackers use their arms to protect themselves and to keep balance. You see Lionel Messi, whose a very skilled and clean player, do this in just about every single play because less skilled defenders will play dirty. The fact that he could make physical contact with the person behind him meant that the defender was way too close. There's absolutely no legitimate reason for a defender to be that close directly behind the offense as you can't make a legal play from that position. You can come in at an angle to slide tackle in front of the player, but he was clearly trying to throw the attacker off balance from behind or run him down out of desperation.

No matter how you look at it, the defender was completely in the wrong. Given this specific situation, he needed to be sent off.

retardedkid672

24 points

2 days ago

Push + Trip + goal opportunity = definite red card. Would be complaining if it weren’t

I_escalate_shit

77 points

2 days ago

Honest to fuck. Anyone who thinks this isn’t a red card hasn’t been watching football long enough.

Ripamon

27 points

Ripamon

27 points

Or has never moved at up to 5mph in their lives

clexecute

2 days ago

Could go either way. Watching in slow motion from the perfect angle is super easy to say it's a red and the ref was not in the wrong, but if the ref gives a yellow I don't think you'd have many people that upset it wasn't a red.

Good call by the ref.

BreweryBuddha

2 days ago

The only way it could be yellow is if the ref thought it wasn't dogso. Mbappe solo against a keeper with the 2nd defender out of range is clear dogso.

barsen404

17 points

barsen404

17 points

2 days ago

Ever get pushed from behind when you're in a full sprint and you're just about to plant a foot? You're going to fall.

SpoodyFox

SpoodyFox

1 day ago

Thank you, seeing a lot of comments about the speed but nothing about the fact that at the moment of the push, both feet are off the ground and the left foot is just about to make contact.

itsamberleafable

329 points

2 days ago*

We all hate diving but this is an obvious push that OP has tried to sell to people who don't watch much football.

Look at the man! Look how he throws himself to the ground!

Yes but he's running at 30+Kph and isn't expecting to be shoved in the back. Try doing this to a jogger I guarantee you'll knock most of them over and they'll not be running anywhere near as fast.

Also, you should film this and upload it to Reddit.

BrainOnLoan

83 points

PSA, Just to be sure:

Don't do this to a jogger.

itsamberleafable

20 points

2 days ago

I think you should be fine as long as it's near the end of their run and you sprint in the opposite direction.

Then of course someone pushes you and the never-ending cycle of joggers being pushed begins.

misspussy

99 points

misspussy

99 points

2 days ago

I dont watch soccer. But I have eyes. And I can see that he didn't intentionally fall. It's usually pretty obvious when they're faking it. They usually fake an injury after too.

Return_of_the_Bear

58 points

2 days ago

You have eyes? I'm sorry to say that you will never be a UEFA referee then.

BennyMAG

23 points

BennyMAG

23 points

2 days ago

Shame, he had such a promising career ahead of him.

zaubercore

9 points

2 days ago

Try doing this to a jogger

Challenge accepted

clexecute

9 points

2 days ago

The telling part is when mbappe slides like 10 yards after going down. He was going SO FAST when he went down it's insane.

stdfan

25 points

stdfan

25 points

2 days ago

Its so frustrating when people talk about flopping and soccer. Ive been barely touched running full speed and that shit hurts like hell and I feel easily.

chelmg777

12 points

chelmg777

12 points

2 days ago

A lot of people have never being pushed even lightly when running at full speed, most of them are also probably slow as shit

flamewizzy21

1 day ago

I think OP was being sarcastic lol

MandatoryMoose

14 points

2 days ago

Play like a tard, get the card.

Awesome1296

12 points

2 days ago

I don’t watch soccer. What does a red card mean???

Lukas-96

30 points

Lukas-96

30 points

2 days ago

He has to leave the field and his team will play with one less player for the rest of the game.

Awesome1296

9 points

ChesterHiggenbothum

36 points

Public execution.

F_A_R_T_ZILLA

10 points

2 days ago

They’re ejected from the match and will serve a suspension for a certain amount of matches

DValencia29

5 points

1 day ago

There are 2 types of cards in football (soccer) yellow card is a warning (if you get 5 yellows during the season you get 1 match suspension), if you are granted 2 yellows in the same game it equals a red card and in case of a red card you have to leave the field and you also get 1 match suspenssion, for the next game (it can be appealed, most of the time the club just accepts it)

This time he the player was expelled for an action known as "the last man" wich most of the time is a clear goal opportunity thats been denied by the last defenders doing a foul and most of the time its a red card. And in this case Mbappe was sprinting (man can reach speeds of 36 KM/H or about 22.5 MPH) meaning that you wont need much effort to take him down at those speeds.

Awesome1296

1 day ago

That is a great and in depth response. Thank you

Rosskillington

19 points

2 days ago

Doesn’t matter if it was a hard push, he pushed him a few yards away from the goal denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, it’s a red. Anywhere else on the field isn’t a card, but he knows the rules you can’t do that when the guy has a clear chance 1 v 1

DefinitelyNotAliens

5 points

1 day ago

Shoves to the back are cardable anywhere on the field. It's just a matter of red or yellow. Shoves are not always a card, but when it's to their back is another issue as you're playing opponent, not the ball and that screams retalitory shoves not hard play.

piztachiold

112 points

piztachiold

112 points

2 days ago

The guy with blue hair looks like a black baby pop.

RyanBordello

146 points

2 days ago

Thats Kylian Mbappé. Hes prospected to be the next football super star behind Messi and Ronaldo. Hes 22 and one of the fastest guys in football

fopiecechicken

13 points

2 days ago

For perspective he’s been clocked at top speeds of 25mph(40kph), compare that to say Usain Bolt at 27mph and it’s just crazy that Mbappe can go that quick in a match, often times after an hour of play has already occurred.

h_abr

h_abr

1 day ago

Just makes it even scarier that Van Dijk kept up with him fairly easily

Jiggily-Jellyfish

48 points

2 days ago

Read the last bit as fastest gays... I gotta go use the sleep

il0vep0tat0

25 points

2 days ago

They say hes from France but he doesnt have a baguette

mykl5

mykl5

2 days ago

Messi and Ronaldo are GOATS not just superstars. One doesn’t simply become the next star behind them.

DisgruntledDildo

8 points

2 days ago

It looks like he wants to cry and headbutt the ref all at the same time

SpanishTrampoline666

2 days ago

He disallowed an obvious goal scoring opportunity from behind and that calls for a red card all day.

Papatheredeemer

2 days ago

This is one of the few instances where something crazy doesn't have to happen for a red card. Even a tap on his back while he has a breakaway shot on hold is a red card. Since a goal can win a game, and a yellow card would be a good trade for preventing a goal, it has to be a red card.

I got to call this one time as a ref and it was pretty exciting. I can't speak for all refs, but cards are a blast to give out.

Son_Goken123

2 days ago

Jesus why did Mbappe dye his hair blue

ChiliAndGold

1 day ago

Dude is 22 years young. He still has many mistakes to make, haha.

spark0

spark0

2 days ago

Last man though. That’s the rule. The ref had two choices there, either give a red card to the defender and a penalty OR give the player in blue a yellow for simulation.

It’s a direct goal scoring opportunity.

the_taco_baron

2 days ago*

Whenever you deny somebody a clear goal scoring opportunity with an intentional foul it's a red card. It's not always about how hard the foul is.

JackORobber

5 points

2 days ago

When you're running, a light touch is all you need to fall.

QueenCobra91

4 points

1 day ago

When running at high speed even the slightest of touches can get you off balanced

TrayusV

10 points

TrayusV

10 points

1 day ago

Nope, that's 100% a red card. Referee here who knows the Lawbook in and out.

The push itself wasn't the reason for the red card. It's because the player had an obvious goal scoring opportunity. If you commit a foul that prevents someone who has an obvious goal scoring opportunity from taking that opportunity, it's an auto red card.

So it wasn't the push itself, it that he pushed a guy who was about to take a shot on net. If you could get away with a minor foul for preventing a goal, the. Everyone would foul someone about to score.

Now recent rules do have a few changes to this, but it's still the same concept.

CthuLou

53 points

CthuLou

53 points

2 days ago

ITT: Stupid Americans that don't know the rules of football. It's a clear red card if he's the last man.

Shenaniganz08

4 points

2 days ago

/r/ruinedbyTikTok needs to be made

CoroBora

5 points

CoroBora

5 points

1 day ago

All the people in the comments who've never played a sport... "He doesn't deserve that red card!"

Mrnicelefthand

5 points

1 day ago

Defender was clearly beaten. Seeing the keeper come out, the foul occurred inside the penalty box.Defender could not make a play on the ball in a legal move.Yes it was just a push but you have to add all the circumstances. Defender should have let his keeper make the play. That’s a red card for me easily.

A_Single_Clap

4 points

1 day ago

Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity with a push in the back without any effort to play the ball...how are you surprised you got a red card?

theKoboldkingdonkus

2 days ago

How are you gonna be surprised or angry when you’re the one that shoved a guy at Mach speed like you threw him down a slip n slide?

bpaul321

37 points

bpaul321

37 points

2 days ago

Once you are in the box, foul at your own risk! yes a flop, but last man and denial of a scoring chance. Dem be the rules.

Blandy97

50 points

Blandy97

50 points

2 days ago

Is it a flop? Think of the speeds they're running, any kind of push at that point can throw your balance.

Stoonineer

24 points

2 days ago*

Lot of peeps focusing on the push but Mbappe goes down after his right legged is tripped up. Unintentional from the defender at that speed but the arm doesn't matter, it's the trip that takes him down and it's a red card.

Blandy97

17 points

Blandy97

17 points

2 days ago

Regardless the point stands that any kind of contact at these speeds will cause you to lose balance.

Stoonineer

4 points

2 days ago*

For sure. Defender has to get inbetween or dispossess, anything else in that situation at that section of the field is asking for a card.

It's a tough angle too. Like it looks very much like a trip but this is a terrible angle to gauge contact. If the ref viewed the contact from either side he's going to see that as a trip.

Aidenkell

2 days ago

His reaction has a potential meme template look.

SocksElGato

1 day ago

If the last defender in the backline takes down a clear goal scoring opportunity, it's an automatic red card, no questions asked. There was no clear attempt at the ball and Mbappe was probably going to score. Poor defending.

jackatlas305

1 day ago

My Favorite soccer dive was the guy who was flicked In the ear and went down like he had been shot.