subreddit:

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

As a reminder, this subreddit is for civil discussion.

In general, be courteous to others. Debate/discuss/argue the merits of ideas, don't attack people. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, any advocating or wishing death/physical harm, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban.

If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them.

For those who have questions regarding any media outlets being posted on this subreddit, please click here to review our details as to our approved domains list and outlet criteria.

_Trump_Lost_LOL_

2.4k points

13 days ago

I’ll borrow some lyrics from Tupac for this one:

...they don’t give a fuck about us

MacDaddyTheMan0095

659 points

13 days ago

Also: "fuck yo wage and the party you claim"
I think that's how it went right?

Miklonario

942 points

Miklonario

942 points

13 days ago

First off, fuck you Mitch and the clique you claim

Left side when we ride come equipped with game

You claim to legislate but enriched your wife

We bust on GOP, votin' blue for life

4daughters

263 points

4daughters

263 points

13 days ago

damn that just made me sad thinking about Tupac, we could really use his voice these days

nyce611

314 points

nyce611

New York

314 points

Tupac would've slapped Kanye for being cool with Trump

P1xelHunter78

66 points

P1xelHunter78

Michigan

66 points

13 days ago

To be fair kanye isn't exactly sane right now

SnowballsAvenger

73 points

SnowballsAvenger

Iowa

73 points

When was he ever?

PrjctAlias

48 points

13 days ago

“George bush hates black people” time frame

seafoam___

8 points

13 days ago

All time favorite youtube short to watch. Love seeing the camera immediately cut to Chris Tucker lol Mike Meyers just keeps reading the prompt so good so on point

joemato

58 points

joemato

58 points

13 days ago

Tupac would slap anyone who fucked over the poor to get richer, regardless of who they were/are

aiepslenvgqefhwz

10 points

13 days ago

He would have never said “vote blue for life”. He was raised by communists for fuck sake.

Al--Capwn

8 points

13 days ago

That was the most peak cringe liberal post I've seen in a while- turning Tupac into a democrat stooge.

PaleInTexas

26 points

PaleInTexas

Texas

26 points

Getting a Harry Mack vibe here :D

Pi4zza

61 points

Pi4zza

61 points

Or some real shit from ScHoolboy Q:

“Two-time felon, they jerkin' me on my pay rate

Slavin' all these hours but couldn't shake that my rent late

Makin' eight a hour, I'm leanin' towards my AK”

bowser1934

36 points

13 days ago

“They got money for wars but can’t feed the poor.”

andee510

62 points

13 days ago*

Damn, that's one of my favorite Tupac songs and super underrated.

But when I start to rise, A hero in their children's eyes, Now they give a fuck about us

Cops just as crooked as the _s they chasin'

masonite616

19 points

13 days ago

He gets more angry in the chorus at certain parts, you can hear the emotion

alphabravotaco

51 points

alphabravotaco

I voted

51 points

13 days ago

Instead of a war on poverty, they got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.

But I'm more of an East Coast rap guy, so I'll go with some fifty:

It's like the rich get richer and the poor don't get fucking thing

ihohjlknk

7.5k points

ihohjlknk

7.5k points

13 days ago

It's not even a $10 immediate raise - oh no, it's a "gradual raise" that takes till 2025. A $15 raise barely struggles against inflation. $10 in 2025 is a goddamn joke.

areallyfunnyusername

3.2k points

13 days ago

All of the future billionaires in the GOP would rather suffer at $9 an hour to stick it to libs.

tweakingforjesus

835 points

13 days ago

I'm sure $8 would be more acceptable.

RightSideBlind

885 points

RightSideBlind

American Expat

885 points

13 days ago

A lot of conservatives and libertarians will argue for hours that we don't need a minimum wage at all. You know, just let the free market sort it out.

14ktgoldscw

828 points

13 days ago

Which is infuriating because we just end up with the taxpayers subsidizing WalMart, etc employees via safety nets. Let’s remove both and see if the free market lets any of the Waltons keep their heads.

Edit: for clarification I am strongly in favor of a living wage and social safety nets.

ohno11

246 points

ohno11

246 points

13 days ago

Walmart doesn't pay minimum wage. In fact, Walmart and other large companies have lobbied Congress to raise the minimum wage for decades because they can afford the higher wages while it puts their smaller competitors out of business.

Ultienap

58 points

Ultienap

I voted

58 points

13 days ago

Ah yes, they pay more, give their employees less hours so that don’t have to provide them with benefits.

Vap3Th3B35t

166 points

13 days ago

Lol. Walmart doesn't need the state or federal minimum wage increased to pay their employees more money.

pnkstr

122 points

pnkstr

122 points

13 days ago*

Exactly. By mandating higher minimum wage, Walmart is hoping the smaller businesses can't keep up and eventually close down, leaving Walmart the only store to go to.

Not surprising considering, in my hometown, Walmart built a second store across town from the first and it was right across the street from an already dying Kmart. Pretty much as soon as that second store opened, their competitor went from a 24 Hour Super Kmart, to a 24 Hour Kmart, to a Kmart, to nothing.

Walmart is in the business of forcing competitors to fail.

Edit: Wrong word. (Blaming the new keyboard.)

ZealousidealRegret31

36 points

13 days ago

And raising the minimum wage in there eyes will help keep the unions out. They dont want unions at all.

Uturuncu

21 points

Uturuncu

Colorado

21 points

13 days ago

They will shitcan you for talking about unions. Not even attempting to unionize, just even mentioning the u-word, even if you're asking someone what a union is and why they're so adamant it not be talked about.

FireflyAdvocate

166 points

FireflyAdvocate

I voted

166 points

13 days ago

Those people can fuck themselves. If these asshat billionaires could pay less they would. They already get away with the gig economy bs. Even $15 in 2021 is a joke, really.

DrPikachu-PhD

120 points

Minimum wage = I'd pay you less if I was legally allowed

FlickieHop

71 points

13 days ago

I'm so tired of minimum wage =unskilled labor. Minimum wage originally meant the smallest wage an individual could make to live on.

Now my wife and I barely make enough to pay the bills and we're both well above federal minimum. Even in a 1 bedroom apartment we almost always have to choose which bills we pay each month.

soline

54 points

soline

54 points

13 days ago

It’s also not unskilled labor. The less you get paid, the harder you work, usually. Physically labor is also almost always paid the least. I don’t get the idea that something like a fast food worker isn’t worth a higher wage. They are hard workers they are running for their entire shift and they are doing someone most people can’t walk in the door and just do unless they used to be a fast food worker recently.

MenachemSchmuel

25 points

13 days ago

They claim to think that when companies pay too little, they won't be able to make a high quality product due to employee turnover and spite, and customers will abandon them. Meanwhile, McDonalds and WalMart are some of the biggest companies in the country and the world, making low quality garbage that very few actually enjoy. They talk big against China, while supporting economic practices that make low quality, mass produced goods the only option for significantly more people than necessary. Every time I think about it, it blows my mind that so many people are just cool with billionaires existing.

CriticalCarpenter4

18 points

13 days ago

Dont you see people will choose to starve over making 1$ an hour in the free market. And after enough people starve to death the people who survive will choose to shop somewhere else.

theDagman

17 points

theDagman

California

17 points

13 days ago

$15 an hour was a goal that started with Occupy Wall Street from TEN YEARS AGO. Yes, it is a joke that it is still considered a livable wage by the media and politicians in 2021.

specqq

27 points

specqq

27 points

13 days ago

If these asshat billionaires could pay less they would.

They can.

sublimeone

33 points

13 days ago

Work release labor is a god damn racket. I worked in a kitchen. They claim they're training these guys. Anyone can wash dishes, they aren't training them to do shit. They're just there because they can pay them peanuts. Something that really shocked me though... A lot of the work release guys in my area work at McDonald's. I couldn't believe work release guys worked at McDonald's. It's absolutely insane. It's one of the biggest reasons America has a ridiculously large prison population.

monarchaik

31 points

13 days ago

Yep it's 100% intentional. The people who wrote the 13th Amendment may not have seen exactly what it would create today, but they absolutely knew it was establishing legal slavery as long as the state could find a reason to imprison someone. So no surprise when slave catchers become police officers and black people are arrested at astoundingly higher rates and given significantly harsher punishments.

babbydotjpg

11 points

13 days ago

I don't even think there's any other way to read them leaving a legal avenue for slavery. Why leave that open if you're not going to use it?

monarchaik

8 points

13 days ago

I mean legal slavery was the intention. I don't know that they could have comprehended an industrial prison system, with privately owned and operated prisons lobbying for stricter punishments so that they can sell those prisoner labor hours for profit.

steelhips

14 points

13 days ago

I love watching "retro-futurism" clips from the 1930s to 1960s. Nearly all of them predicted, beyond 2000, workers will only have to work 3 days per week, leisure pursuits would boom and everyone would have secure wealth to live comfortably. Technology would assist in this utopia.

What the hell happened?

Greed. Greed of the top tier who didn't want to share and needed indentured servitude. In the 1950s - 60s the average executive/CEO paid themselves 20 to 30 times of their average worker. It's now 300+.

PurkleDerk

15 points

13 days ago

The libertarian fever dream of a "free market" gave us literal human slavery. So yeah... maybe a couple regulations here and there are okay.

DocMcsquirtin

217 points

13 days ago

Great, now they’re asking for $7.25. We’ve done nothing and ran out of ideas.

ShamanSix01

161 points

ShamanSix01

Maryland

161 points

13 days ago

What was their slogan for the ACA when they had control of all branches of Government? Oh, yes, "repeal and replace" at which they couldn't and didn't.

Mol-D-Roger

5 points

13 days ago

I can’t beleive it’s legal in places to pay somebody $580 before taxes, for two weeks of work full time. That is completely absurd. $7.25 is barely 3 gallons of gas most places. An absolute failure of our government to have allowed this to carry on

Zerowantuthri

48 points

Zerowantuthri

Illinois

48 points

13 days ago

The GOP has convinced its willful fools that the libs will take their jobs by raising wages and it will be some minority who gets the few jobs remaining.

Thing is, businesses hire as many people as they need to do the job whether it costs $7/hour or $15/hour. If McDonalds was paying $15/hour for its staff at a restaurant and the government lowered the wages to $7/hour McDonalds will not hire anyone else. They will just happily pocket the extra money.

What would be unfair is if only some places had to pay $15/hour which would skew competition but that is not happening here. Everyone pays more in wages so the competitive landscape stays the same.

Companies either raise prices and/or take home less in profit. We've seen places with higher minimum wages and everything is fine.

tophatpainter

23 points

13 days ago

McDonald's and places like it seem to do fine in Washington and Oregon where minimum wage is quite a lot higher (and has been) than the minimum. Its not like $15 an hour in Seattle proper has forced fast companies out or even harmed them. Hell, Dollar Tree has managed to do just fine. Its bizarre that there could be any resistance to raising this.

AscensoNaciente

34 points

13 days ago

Higher wages might cause McDonalds to invest more in automation to eliminate jobs. This is a favorite argument of the right wing. It’d be a lot more effective if McDonalds wasn’t already doing this.

xboxiscrunchy

32 points

13 days ago

Automation is inevitable. You can slow it’s implementation but eventually if something can be automated it will be.

We need to raise wages now to make them livable and then reform our system into one that can handle mass automation without collapsing.

Automation will happen and it should be a good thing. Higher production and efficiency with less labor required is objectively a positive change but our current system is built to funnel all those Benefits to a small group and leaves everyone else SOL.

What will happen in a hundred or a few hundred years when we can automate an ever increasing number of jobs? Maybe even the vast majority?

elephantpoop

13 days ago

Isn't this where universal basic income come in?

DemWitty

89 points

DemWitty

Michigan

89 points

13 days ago

Worse, the implementation doesn't start until the end of the COVID pandemic, so we're really looking at like 2026-2027 under their bill.

Dwrecktheleach

491 points

13 days ago

$10 in 2021 is a god damn joke. I’m so sick of billionaires telling me I deserve to be poor.

RightSideBlind

202 points

RightSideBlind

American Expat

202 points

13 days ago

Have you tried just... I don't know... being rich?

Elseiver

109 points

Elseiver

109 points

My bootstraps broke :(

Mortar_Maggot

75 points

13 days ago

No they didn't, they were cut. Class warfare exists and the rich are winning.

The_Monsieur

22 points

13 days ago

Bingo. There’s a reason they cry class warfare when you come at them. They don’t want you to realize that you’ve already been at war for decades and getting your ass kicked.

hertzdonut69

13 days ago

This should be pinned to the top of this thread.

kenpachi212

50 points

13 days ago

Convince people to stop voting for Republicans then

dogsanalgland

46 points

13 days ago

Rather convince all the poor schlubs working for low wages at places like Subway, Target, etc... to actually VOTE, and vote or democrats.

There's a huge group of people who would really benefit that just....don't vote.

Ok-Agent2700

9 points

13 days ago

Democrat party needs to unite all poor folks in a similar fashion as The Poor Peoples Campaign.

The Democrat party focuses on pet issues of groups. While this is good they need to really drive the nail home with income inequality which hurts all Americans of any gender, race, religion, sexual orientation. There are 150 million low income Americans that need help and they fall into every single category.

djprofitt

80 points

djprofitt

Virginia

80 points

13 days ago

I recently took a job that pays less than my last job, although still a significant income, a shade below 6 figures, but I just need to make an extra $1000 a month to replenish my savings. Considering I already work 40 and help to take care of my dad, I can maybe swing an extra 15 hours a week. Considering taxes and stuff, I’d have to find a job making $20 fucking dollars an hour to hit that goal.

My point is, $15 today is a fucking joke and should be $25 an hour now, not 4 years from now. And $15 an hour in 2025 is basically nothing, again.

CapablePerformance

20 points

13 days ago

At this point, unless you're living in the middle of nowhere, even $20 an hour will barely keep your head about water. $15 is only a lot to out of touch billionares who don't think about money, or to little kids who might get a $5 allowance. Once you try and budget, it's any fiances, that $15/hr gets taken up by an apartment and electricity. "I can get by on spending $75 a month for groceries...".

pain-is-living

11 points

13 days ago

I make $21 an hour and still live with my parents. Our relationship is good, but my mom last week asked me if I had an aspirations to get my own place.

I laughed. Then realized she's serious. I told her of course I want to be independent, but man is it hard now days. She told me I was making more than my dad made at my age and he supported her and himself on a single income!

I sat her down, showed her prices of apartments in our area ($900-1500) and then broke down all my other expenses and showed her if I paid all my bills and for food, and didn't spend a dime on anything fun or non-necessity I'd have $100 left over every month. Basically working to live. She was pretty taken back. I asked her what she was paying for car insurance and she didn't even know. I showed her what I was paying and she bought had a heart attack.

KnottShore

64 points

KnottShore

Pennsylvania

64 points

13 days ago

CEO compensation has grown 940% since 1978.

The minimum wage in 1978 was $2.65 which would be $10.59 in 2021 dollars. So $7.25 is about $1.82 or 70% purchasing power of the 1978 dollar. If the $10.59 is extrapolated out at 2% until 2025, the 1978 equivalent minimum wage should be about $11.45. For 4%, it would be about $12.40.

BTW, if one uses the inflation rate from 1974 to 2021(1978 to 2025), the $2.65 would be $14.00 in 2025.

Were the minimum wage to have kept pace with executive compensation, the 1978 minimum wage would be $24.91 today.

HabeusCuppus

36 points

13 days ago

the 940% increase for CEO compensation is itself inflation adjusted*, so I arrive at a value of 131$/hr in USD2020 dollars for 'tracks the CEO's pay' minimum wage.

The working public is being robbed in broad daylight, and around half of us are thankful for the privilege to be fucked over.

* your linked source: "From 1978 to 2018, inflation-adjusted compensation based on realized stock options of the top CEOs increased 940.3%." (my emphasis).

KnottShore

10 points

KnottShore

Pennsylvania

10 points

13 days ago

True, I just did a "quick & dirty" calculation. Stay safe and healthy.

RosaKlebb

88 points

13 days ago

The biggest issue is that the minimum wage never properly adjusted for inflation or the changing times, and it goes beyond minimum wage as there's plenty of people across varying incomes who are severely underpaid comparatively to past eras.

The crucial thing for the people at the top running the show is that it's way easier and better from them to have more people angry at the people filling minimum wage jobs so there is more diversion created as they continue to pick pockets and dip under all sorts of legalities, changing the game as they go along.

For a moment think how absolutely insane it is that you'll get a bunch of talking heads going on about how it's going to be doom and gloom if people made x/hr minimum wage, but are quiet as shit about all the fucking crooks with actual tangible wealth and power who casually dodge taxes, game markets, and do actual damage to fucking up things like the economy, housing market, the environment, etc.

Joe Blow working at McDonald's for $15/hr doesn't have any skin in the game compared to the physical ruin caused by billionaire oligarchs and bought and sold politicians. People angry at the Joe Blows of the world and the subject of the fight for a higher minimum wage took the bait to be distracted from actual problems at hand.

chainer49

39 points

13 days ago

This is a large and well known issue with humanity. A millionaire stealing a million dollars through tax evasion or some other sketchy scheme is uncouth, but expected and they’ll most often get away with it. A cashier asking for a 5% raise gets grilled as to their performance and how that raise means the company can’t hire another employee, blah blah blah. We’re so used to waste and corruption at the larger scale that we completely lack the sense of perspective and energy to address it well. But the powerless are easily to deal with and we “know” they are irresponsible anyway (otherwise they’d be successful).

k_ironheart

288 points

k_ironheart

Missouri

288 points

A $15 raise barely struggles against inflation

$15/hr. was a living wage over a decade ago. The compromise is either a minimum wage that lags 20 years behind, or one that lags 15 years behind. It's pathetic.

zippermistletoe

178 points

13 days ago

yeah my mom bought a house in the 90s for 100k working for the prison system at 30k a year. that same house would now cost 300-400k and that job might pay 40k a year at best today

monarchaik

30 points

13 days ago

Yeah the whole "think of the property/rental prices" people seem to completely ignore that while wages for the poorest have largely stagnated for the past 15 years, housing prices are still fucking going up regardless, at already insane rates.

red_fist

58 points

red_fist

58 points

13 days ago

Makes you wonder about the low stated inflation rate they use to justify the small increase.

ThrowsSoyMilkshakes

10 points

ThrowsSoyMilkshakes

Washington

10 points

13 days ago

Same with my parents. My dad was making just above $40k while working for the Navy. They bought their house for $90k in 1988. Now that same house is worth $480k and is considered to be the poor end of the city (western Washington). It's disgusting.

zippermistletoe

11 points

13 days ago

I just wonder, if you bought that house now, will it be worth 1.6 million in 30 years? I highly doubt it. You get hosed on both ends, the market is too rich to buy in and the equity won’t build like it has in the past either.

ThrowsSoyMilkshakes

ThrowsSoyMilkshakes

Washington

13 days ago

It probably would be worth that much, especially if we keep getting all the tech jobs in the area. But like you said, the market is too rich to buy in and the only way to afford something like that is to have a ton of well-paid roommates. Bad enough I'm barely scraping rent, but that's because every complex that I move into ends up being bought by some corporate landlord and they shoot rent up +$600 the next year. I'm getting so sick of this game and action really needs to happen. Our state minimum is $13.69 right now, with $15 happening in a few months, but that is still not enough with how bad the greed and NIMBYism is around here.

DemocraticRepublic

59 points

DemocraticRepublic

North Carolina

59 points

13 days ago

This won't be popular, but it's worth pointing out Bernie Sanders embraced the $15 minimum wage in 2015, six years ago, not 15.

KyleFaust

42 points

KyleFaust

✔ Candidate for CO-7

42 points

13 days ago*

That just tells you how far behind we are.

You want to know the wage needed for someone who is single with one child to live in Colorado is?

Over 26 dollars.

EDIT: error in remembering my stat. Stat was located here. This is for a family of 3.

throwawaytothetenth

7 points

13 days ago

I just googled it and it says $17.89. Is that wrong?

Contren

Contren

Illinois

13 days ago

They might be meaning Denver, not CO at large.

ordinaryarchitect

24 points

ordinaryarchitect

Oregon

24 points

13 days ago

Hijacking top comment to make a point. Federal minimum wage in 1980 was $3.10. If we took inflation over the course of the last 40 years (up to 2020) from that $3.80 you would get $12.06 today based on an average inflation per year of 2.86% (averaged from over those 40 years). As you can see this is higher than the above article but below the $15 originally posed. Now if we factor in cost of living, the dollar has lost value, a dollar today is worth 31.51% of what it was in the 1980's which means all things considered minimum wage should actually be roughly 3 times the $12.06 at a whopping $36 an hour (I rounded down for simplicity and to save our businesses).

Not only is this more than I make with a bachelors and a masters in what I consider a fairly respected field. It's 4.96 times higher than the current $7.25 the department of labor has listed on it's .gov website.

If you think my numbers are wrong I am welcome to corrections. But the point is, even the $15 proposed was a joke based on cost of living today. If we can't even get there what hope do we really have? How about we set a federal minimum wage based on real average cost of living numbers and focus on paying people the means to live instead of just paying people for the position their in. And while were at it, factor in the inflation for the time it takes us to get there so we are not always behind the curve...

Fig1024

17 points

Fig1024

17 points

13 days ago

General inflation is one thing, but the cost of housing (rent), cost of education and medical care - have all gone up way higher than inflation rate.

Plus in 1980 you didn't need to pay for internet service and mobile phone service. Now it's pretty much a requirement to be a functional member of society

fishy_snack

13 days ago

Inflation is supposed to measure cost of living. It may not do it very well so you can use your own value. But it doesn’t make sense to multiply by both.

Your point that the wage is too low is totally valid though

lounger540

34 points

13 days ago*

I’m by no means wealthy. I had to take a bridge loan just to pay rent this summer because of COVID to avoid taking out from my 401.

That being said, if a $10 bill flew out of my pocket into a puddle of something gross, someone’s late night sidewalk vomit lets say. I’d probably leave it.

If I had to work an hour for $10 though, I’d pick it up with my teeth.

I worked for minimum wage and actually less once*, as a kid, and looking back it was exploitation for the amount of demands, late nights, expected to travel through snow storms, handle dangerous chemicals without training and more.

*i worked as a ski instructor. We had to buy $300 jackets as “uniforms” even though they didn’t even have the mountain name. They also changed designs every couple years. We had a schedule but would only get paid per lesson. Groups of 10 or so where I would usually be picking up old people twice my weight. If we didn’t get assigned a lesson we didn’t get paid. If we did, it was maybe $20 plus tips. No one ever tipped. I also paid out of pocket to get national certification. No raise. And the middle aged Rikers Island CO was the weekend ski school manager would constantly hit in my underage (we were 16 at the time) girlfriend. Fun times. I actually got better treatment cause my Mom was the weekday manager, but the owners set the rules.

About 50% of the time you wouldn’t get a lesson. Once I factored in the mandatory costs, travel expenses and certification, and all the hours I was there on request and didn’t get lessons assigned I actually paid for the privilege of freezing my ass off for the rudest people possible.

decadickbrah

8 points

13 days ago

$10 is damn near impossible to live on anywhere if one works a full 40 hours and never takes a sick day or a day off.

Mojak66

15 points

Mojak66

15 points

13 days ago

Actually, it is an insult.

DemWitty

2.9k points

DemWitty

Michigan

2.9k points

13 days ago

The Romney plan to raise it to $10/hr over 5 years, which would only start once the pandemic is considered over, it a joke. A phased-in $15/hr wage is already a huge compromise. She's right that their plan is a huge joke.

Midwest-Leftist

1.4k points

13 days ago

Also the youth minimum wage becomes like $6. I don't understand why politicians think that being a child means that it's okay to be exploited for your labor. It's disgusting.

HotRodLincoln

668 points

13 days ago

Also, like is your plan to low key promote companies trying to find ways to replace as many workers as possible with children? Because we did that until 1938ish, and it was not chill.

Also, feels a little "Forget the 14th Amendment"y

Midwest-Leftist

227 points

13 days ago

Right. It's just this kind of weird thing where because they're young that means they're more exploitable. Just the most backwards ass logic.

velveteenelahrairah

194 points

velveteenelahrairah

United Kingdom

194 points

13 days ago*

But then you're talking about the people who think children are their parents' property, and young people should be seen and not heard (and then scream "disrespectful" if a young person opposes their power and control in any way). Giving youngsters a means to autonomy instead of dependence on older people's whims goes against everything they stand for.

(Which is why they loathe AOC so much - she is proof that independence and self sufficiency is attainable and that young people aren't afraid of hard work, and it makes their teeth itch that their sons and especially daughters might look at her and think "hmm... what if I tried carving my own path too?" instead of just doing as Daddy and Mommy tell them. See also: Greta, the Parkland kids, Malala, any youngster that tries to show us that the children are our future and make the world a better place.)

Midwest-Leftist

80 points

13 days ago

Yep. The way I see it you either pay an equal wage to young people or you don't let teenagers get jobs. It's insane to expect kids to give away their youth at work anyways. Let kids focus on school instead of creating this expectation that they get a job.

velveteenelahrairah

99 points

velveteenelahrairah

United Kingdom

99 points

13 days ago*

B-but then how will you keep kids trapped in a dead end cycle of dependency and constant pressure cooker expectations to get straight As and do extracurriculars and have a paying job to contribute to the household and pay rent and do the chores and volunteer and "enrich their CVs" and have a correct social life and be good at sports and have the approved boy/girlfriend and be popular and win prizes and accolades and be practically perfect until they wind up with raging mental health issues, turn to drugs, or say "fuck this" and burn out?!

(... I might be a little bitter.)

lakeghost

31 points

13 days ago

I’m also bitter. I unlocked an extra option at 16: Autoimmune disease. Turns out you should probably sleep more than five hours if you want to have a functioning immune system.

Skybombardier

22 points

13 days ago

Well it’s capitalism after all, we gotta exploit SOMEONE

adelaarvaren

41 points

13 days ago

Nothing like looking back at the Capitalists arguments against the FLSA... I'm still waiting for the complete collapse of the American economy that they promised. They told us that if 9 year olds couldn't work the coal mines anymore, America would never be able to compete!!

[deleted]

66 points

[deleted]

66 points

[deleted]

Midwest-Leftist

50 points

13 days ago

I paid my own phone bill as a 17 year old. Even the idea that you have less expenses as a member of youth doesn't have that much credibility when we're culturally motivated to take on responsibilities.

RegressToTheMean

45 points

RegressToTheMean

Maryland

45 points

13 days ago

Fuck, I was living on my own at 17. So, people can fuck right off with that bullshit. Labor is labor. Romney is trying to exploit child labor and it's disgusting

Not_So_Hot_Mess

48 points

13 days ago

Because it makes college so much more affordable at $6 an hour. These people are so far away from reality it is scary.

Midwest-Leftist

27 points

13 days ago

Yeah, if they don't want college to be free, why preemptively sabotage the ones who were supposedly responsible enough to get a job?

Scholesie09

7 points

13 days ago

Because then the poor would be stinking up their favourite school, rather than only this with wealthy parents

mrnotoriousman

10 points

13 days ago

Literally saw someone earlier trying to argue that the minimum wage was meant just for HS kids (to anyone reading note this is not true!). But the part that got me was how entitled that person was to just assume that not only can people not live on that but not respect how fucked over it makes the average worker.

BidenWontMoveLeft

19 points

13 days ago

They're so out of touch, they still think commodities can be had for $1 an hour just like when they were growing up doing their part time mowing gig and were able to buy a house and all of college tuitions by age 19. So they think "$15 an hour! If a teen makes that that's like being the CEO of a company!!"

dilloj

26 points

dilloj

Washington

26 points

13 days ago

It's because they can't vote, silly. I look forward to universal voter registration and ice cream for dinner on days that end in "y".

ofchiai

246 points

ofchiai

246 points

13 days ago

Plus, even if Democrats said ok and switched to that shitty plan to try to be bipartisan, not a single Republican would vote for it anyway.

Quietkitsune

97 points

13 days ago

Very much this. They fret and wail about bipartisanship but never follow through beyond getting what they want and watering down the Democratic Party’s position.

Unless the GOP shows they’re bargaining in good faith, their inputs should be ignored

nermid

33 points

nermid

33 points

13 days ago

This is exactly what happened with the ACA and I'm astounded that it's not common knowledge.

tangerinelion

14 points

13 days ago

You know what Republicans would vote for though? A phase-out of minimum wage.

DemWitty

27 points

DemWitty

Michigan

27 points

13 days ago

I actually think a handful of GOP House Reps would. Not many, but a few. I mean, 3 of them voted for a $15/hr wage in 2019. The question there would there be enough of them to cover the progressive Democrat defections? And I think that is an easy no.

In the Senate, not a chance they get 10+ GOP Senators to back it, assuming there are no Democratic defections. Which there would be.

MudLOA

30 points

MudLOA

California

30 points

13 days ago

We can't even get 10+ to convict for the 2nd impeachment and that was as black and white as it can get.

tweakingforjesus

87 points

13 days ago

And the leve of $15 an hour was determined 10 years ago. We need to raise it, and tie it to inflation.

nermid

17 points

nermid

17 points

tie it to inflation

Doesn't the current bill tie it to median wages or something?

Squirrely__Dan

18 points

13 days ago

That works about to about an ~$0.11 per year increase in the federal minimum wage since the last increase, if it took place immediately.

WestFast

573 points

WestFast

California

573 points

13 days ago

I made $10 an hour in my first job in retail literally 20 years ago. It’s criminal that wages haven’t risen at all in a generation.

[deleted]

172 points

[deleted]

172 points

13 days ago

I've seen the studies that show the minimum wage adjusted for inflation should be anywhere between $15 and $24 an hour. Either one is a goddamn joke.

scapermoya

89 points

$24 an hour is a joke ?

Saoirse_Says

157 points

Saoirse_Says

Canada

157 points

13 days ago

I would cry for days if I landed a job at $24 an hour (CAD, so I guess that’s like $20 USD). That would be life changing. I could actually start paying off my credit card debt lol

dssurge

67 points

dssurge

67 points

13 days ago

I had one of those "proper paying" jobs about 2 years back, it was pretty dope.

Can confirm, literally never worried about money. My share of the rent was paid in less than 2 weeks, all bills in less than 3.

Now I'm back to getting fucked.

Kedly

24 points

Kedly

24 points

13 days ago

If you live in a big city, 24 lets you pay your bills if you are smart with your money. Money starts getting a bit more comfortable nearer 30 in a bigger city (Where netting those kinds of wages are easier) ((Speaking as a Vancouverite))

SCP_Musume

23 points

13 days ago

I assume he means either $10 or $15 is a joke because minimum wage should be higher than either proposal.

freakonomics101

812 points

freakonomics101

Michigan

812 points

13 days ago

Pay them $10/hr and see how they like it.

elee0228

839 points

elee0228

839 points

13 days ago

Congressmen get paid $174,000 annually, which works to about $80/hour. With how little gets done in Congress, taxpayers should definitely be calling for pay cuts.

ProPopulis

602 points

ProPopulis

602 points

13 days ago

Except the pay cuts wouldn't affect people like Romney who are independently wealthy, they would affect people like AOC who depend on the income.

SquirrelBake

194 points

13 days ago

Exactly. The money is nice, but hardly absurd or life-making, especially if you maintain a dwelling in DC for when congress is in session. People who don't get into politics to help people like her do it for connections and bribes. All a paycut will do will make the good ones who came from humble beginnings have an even harder time justifying the stress of the job.

If it were feasible, you should ensure they give up all their exist wealth above a certain threshold (say, a million) before they are sworn in and closely monitor their finances so their only income is their salary as an elected official. That'd be a way better way to ensure the public officials are really there to serve.

BidenWontMoveLeft

50 points

13 days ago

Then put a cap on it based on how much money you have coming in? I don't get why people keep assuming all laws have to be applied equally. They've applied laws differently for centuries, why can't we write laws that specifically target greed and oppression?

closetsquirrel

50 points

13 days ago

Because the ones who would have to vote those laws in are the greedy and the oppressors.

DemocraticRepublic

28 points

DemocraticRepublic

North Carolina

28 points

13 days ago

And it also increases the allure of Congressmen leaving these jobs and going to lucrative lobbyist jobs, which increases their interest in making policy to get such jobs.

likeitis121

19 points

13 days ago

I disagree. You get what you pay for, and who pays you. That's not that much for having to maintain 2 residences, one in DC. We should pay them well, but ensure they are working for us, not someone else

elconquistador1985

44 points

13 days ago

That would mean people like AOC can't be members of Congress and would guarantee it's 100% rich assholes who don't give a shit about you. Instead of, you know, 90% rich assholes who don't give a shit about you.

KyleFaust

22 points

KyleFaust

✔ Candidate for CO-7

22 points

13 days ago

If you want to cut down on corruption, you have the make the job worth more than what outside forces are willing to pay.

Take tax filing for example. TurboTax only really exists because they successfully lobby congress to prevent them from just having the IRS, who already knows what you owe, from telling you / issuing your refund. They had 7.7 billion dollars in revenue per year last I checked.

You could pay every congressman 3 million dollars a year, and if they passed legislation that made TurboTax irrelevant, the American economy actually gains money. It is an uncomfortable truth: If you want to crack down on corruption, you have to make it more risky and more expensive. By passing and enforcing stronger anti-corruption laws, AND increasing the value of holding the job, you reduce corruption.

edvek

26 points

edvek

26 points

13 days ago

They could be paid $0 a year and it wouldn't matter. Politics is a rich mans game. You go into it rich and come out wealthy with all your connections and insider trading. Hell you could take away their benefits and pay and rich fucks would still spend millions to get elected because of the life long, not long term, but life long gains.

TranquilSeaOtter

610 points

13 days ago

Our system is fundamentally broken if it's impossible for businesses to pay people enough to not be living in poverty. If you argue against the minimum wage hike you are arguing for keeping people in poverty to maintain your own standard of living. You are essentially saying you want the poor to stay poor because you don't want to pay more for things. When it comes down to it, your standard of living is subsidized by those in poverty and it is morally reprehensible. Prices won't skyrocket and they won't mirror the minimum wage increase. NYC increased the minimum wage and prices have not skyrocketed. A study found restaurants increased their prices by a whopping 3% and speaking anecdotally prices at the grocery store have not astronomically gone up (or much really beyond inflation). If you're going to argue against raising the minimum wage hike just be honest and say the working poor need to stay poor so you can live with your current standard of living (it won't affect your standard of living). If that isn't broken to you then I don't know what else to say.

Matt463789

96 points

13 days ago

It wouldn't even be the middle class that would feel much of the hurt. The wealthy elite just wants a destitute working class that is so desperate that they will settle for anything.

bigtim3727

19 points

Exactly.

Prinners37

126 points

Prinners37

126 points

13 days ago

^ this, min wage in WA area I'm in is $13.50 and I can still find stuff roughly same price as elsewhere during my costco/albertsons runs. Precovid I was making roughly double what a buddy out in MD was making- I was in Fast Food, they were in some sort of clerical receptionist thing for a company that should NOT be paying its employees a paltry $7.75

papigrande

19 points

13 days ago

MD's min wage is around $12 now and scheduled to reach 15 sometime in the near future. Still vanishingly small for how high cost the state is but min wage in MD hasnt been that low in MD for more than a decade.

aelysium

190 points

aelysium

190 points

13 days ago*

We shouldn’t be legislating a ‘dollar value’ minimum wage, period.

Hold up, what?

There’s literally government agencies that already calculate the components of a living wage at various levels, some for every zip code in the country.

For example, the post-9/11 GI Bill pays a monthly stipend at a rate considered a housing allowance for a Sergeant with dependents (E-5) based on the zip code of your university’s admissions office. And they have this data already for every zip code in the country. We calculate CPI to figure out the cost of a basket of household goods.

It gets recalculated yearly already.

They could make minimum wage a ‘system’ that doesn’t need to be continuously revisited today.

Set the minimum wage such that the dollar/hr in the zip code (or you could average it across counties/states if you’d like) calculated for the year, if HIGHER than previous, is the new minimum wage.

Boom. Minimum wage is raised to what the government would already likely consider a living wage, its granular, changes with changes in the economy, etc.

Hell, they could incorporate the MIT data set for all I care. Set it at the rate calculated for an individual with no dependents.

Then in another bill deal with the PT vs FT bullshit we’re already seeing so that companies can’t just go PT fully to kill benefits and require you to have the scheduling nightmare of multiple jobs.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Semyonov

65 points

Semyonov

65 points

13 days ago

I feel like this would also change how commuting works too. If counties/zip codes outside of major metro areas have a lower cost of living and therefore lower minimum wage, more jobs will move there, in turn causing more people to commute from cities or also move there.

If anything, it may balance out some of the population centers a lot more and average out cost of living a lot.

-----o-----o-----

7 points

13 days ago

Living and working in densely populated cities is ideal from an environmental perspective though.

JscrumpDaddy

37 points

13 days ago

I would cum if the government was capable of doing this.

jakemg

16 points

jakemg

16 points

13 days ago

It is capable. As the poster described, the military already does this. Will they though? No way. Because anything that doesn’t benefit the mega wealthy in this country is labeled socialism and propagandized so that poor voters argue against their own best interests.

Qingchangbingbong

7 points

I’d cum with u

buizel123

373 points

buizel123

373 points

13 days ago

WTF is 10$ supposed to do for states with a high cost of living?

Matt463789

131 points

Matt463789

131 points

13 days ago

Even $15 isn't enough for many cities.

[deleted]

54 points

[deleted]

54 points

13 days ago

15 is fucking garbage wages. Its the absolute least they can do.

phriot

130 points

phriot

130 points

13 days ago

While I do think that $10 is probably too low for the federal minimum wage in 2021, HCOL states often already have higher minimum wage laws.

Abrham_Smith

92 points

13 days ago

The state with the highest minimum wage is California ($14.00). However, this only applies to businesses with 26 or more employees. The state with the highest minimum wage applying to all companies is Washington ($13.69). If Washington, D.C. were a state, it would have the highest minimum wage ($15.00).

tophatpainter

50 points

13 days ago

Yep and Seattle proper has had $15 minimum wage (the wage decreases from the epicenter) and somehow seems to be doing just fine. Businesses adjusted and the world kept turning. The GOP are so fucking weird.

albomats

16 points

albomats

16 points

13 days ago

Evil, the word you are looking for is Evil, not weird

GeckoRocket

53 points

13 days ago

States reserve the right to dictate higher min wage than federal

caststoneglasshome

59 points

13 days ago

Even in "low cost of living" states, if you are within 50 miles of a city $10 is barely livable as a single person, let alone if you have a kid.

Some people are content with low pressure manual labor and have no aspirations to climb career ladders and they deserve a living wage too.. our economy relies on them after all.

FPSXpert

13 points

FPSXpert

13 points

13 days ago

$10 an hour translates to $20,000 a year while $15 an hour translates to $30,000. The minimum poverty line in the USA.

I think if we used yearly numbers like this, those on the fence would understand better how little $10 an hour really is and how much we need $15 an hour federally. Furthermore, it would make the lobbyists, owners, and politicians pushing back to $10 an hour or less take off their masks and show the true greed that they hold.

fluffykerfuffle1

69 points

$15 an hour doesn’t even cover it

15 x 40 x 4.2 = 2520

$15 hour times 40 hours per week times 4.2 weeks per month = $2420 gross before taxes before social security and medicare premiums

$2520

rent utilities insurances food medical transportation education clothing childcare

anything more i forget?

and one extra detail.. my rent has almost always been almost half of my takehome pay.

and at $15 an hour it would be still.

edits: to add into the expenses list

[deleted]

30 points

[deleted]

30 points

[deleted]

somewhat_autistic

5 points

Forgot childcare

walker1555

100 points

walker1555

100 points

13 days ago

A $10 minimum wage will require substantial government assistance, such as medicaid, food stamps, etc.

Taxpayers will have to pay this, not the businesses paying these low wages.

Prinners37

47 points

13 days ago

And the businesses then get to reap the benefits of its employees using their food stamps at their store. It is such a disgusting set up and con.

rock-n-white-hat

143 points

13 days ago

How about every time Congress gives themselves a raise they have to also raise the minimum wage. If they feel like they need more money to afford their lifestyle, then the poor need it even more just to survive.

TapedeckNinja

49 points

TapedeckNinja

Ohio

49 points

13 days ago

To be fair, the last time either the Congressional salary or the minimum wage were raised was 2009.

Congresspeople make less in adjusted dollars now than at any time since the 50s. Certainly not arguing that they should be making more money but Representatives were being paid $125k a year all the way back in 1991.

FightingPolish

20 points

13 days ago

The money that they make while elected is secondary, it’s like an internship until they leave office and make the real money in the private sector.

rubbarz

20 points

rubbarz

Florida

20 points

13 days ago

Do people think the the government pays the $15/hr? Do they not understand that the GOP are literally telling their voters they aren't worth $15?

Its amazing how low GOP voters self worth is.

yyungpiss

18 points

13 days ago*

for anyone who doesn't know, people in congress make about $85/hour, not to mention all of the shady backroom lobbyist bullshit. i would love to see these ghouls live off $10/hour for a month. it should be required.

electriceagle

173 points

13 days ago

Hey AOC tell the GOP TRAITORS to try and live off of $10 an hour see how they like it! Who even votes for the GOP anymore they are all boomers!

SurfPyrate

84 points

13 days ago

I can’t believe they get paid triple fucking figures of govt salary with excellent govt healthcare while denying tax paying citizens any chance of economic dignity.

And there are tons of morbidly obese people in poverty who vote republican.

Fuck!!!

DragoonDM

35 points

DragoonDM

California

35 points

13 days ago

Their salaries are still comparative peanuts. The real money is in using that sweet insider information to play the market.

kudoshinchi

31 points

13 days ago

This is why I want see more younger politician but in Texas bunch of old boomer will continue vote those scums

Midwest-Leftist

9 points

13 days ago

It's unfortunate because if democrats had just had a better November across the board you could have seen a lot of change in Texas politicians. A handful of really strong Democratic candidates lost that would have been great.

hylic

13 points

hylic

Canada

13 points

13 days ago

Who even votes for the GOP anymore they are all boomers!

People our age who are disposed to fascism?

KOBossy55

12 points

13 days ago

Turns out that when you dont pay people a living wage, they cant live.

Who knew?

Fragmentia

29 points

13 days ago

The GOP wants people on social welfare programs after all the talk about socialism being the devil? What is it about having the ability to support yourself by working 40 hour weeks that the GOP doesn't understand? AOC is right, it's literally legislated poverty.

ArticleVforVendetta

107 points

13 days ago

I've seen the studies that show the minimum wage adjusted for inflation should be anywhere between $15 and $24 an hour. Either one is a far cry from the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, which hasn't been raised since 2009.

But the reality should be far more infuriating for most of us. The reality is, most in the USA have endured stagnant wages brought on by globalization, while the wealthy have increased their share of the pie by utilizing cheap (i.e. slave) labor from overseas.

So quality of life for most of us has remained stagnant or gone down due to inflation, while the ultra wealthy are having the best time of their lives for the exact same reason. From what I have learned looking back through history, I don't remember a time when We the People voted to have well paying jobs moved overseas to third world countries to evade taxation.

red78tn

20 points

red78tn

20 points

13 days ago

Why do we not just tie the minimum wage to the cost of living index? Would solve most of this crap and it would have climbed to $15 or so on its own over the last 20 years

010011100000

18 points

13 days ago

The purchasing power of the federal minimum wage peaked in 1968 at $1.60 ($12.00 in 2019 dollars)

jsho574

11 points

jsho574

11 points

13 days ago

I don't know if my method was correct, but comparing inflation between when 7.25 was installed (2009) and 2021, would have put it at 8.81.

Still not liveable, and maybe your study was about when 7.25 was a liveable wage.

dobie1kenobi

10 points

13 days ago

Biden ran on a ticket that included a $15 minimum wage, and he received more votes than any other President in the history of Democracy. What the fuck ever happened to political capital?

SeeMe_After_Class

45 points

13 days ago

This isn’t difficult. Determine what the minimum amount required to live us and pay people that amount. It should cover rent, food, utilities, healthcare, and savings/retirement. I’m sure someone already has a nice little algorithm we can use.

Now, this will change depending on where you live, but there’s still a good reason for having a national minimum wage, since it will encourage worker mobility, which will in turn drive up pay for everyone. It keeps states more competitive and raises standard of living for all.

Of course, republicans don’t want these things for most of their constituents, so yeah.

Matt463789

34 points

13 days ago

A dynamic, healthy middle class would be a challenge to their power.

lockon345

27 points

13 days ago

Trump says he wants to work towards a 15$ minimum wage and get people 2k checks and the GOP base goes wild with support.

Any democrat proposes the same thing and suddenly most GOP voters hold the exact same strict fiscal conservatism as Fox Business personalities.

This refusal to accept help from "the other side" is fucking exhausting.

CapnHazama

37 points

13 days ago

A living wage SHOULD INCLUDE INFLATION. How could they think this is a good idea?

the_obtuse_coconut

18 points

13 days ago

Why do republicans do everything badly

1FunnyMum

9 points

13 days ago

How about all these Senators saying $10.00 an hour is ok for a wage live on that themselves for a year. No other income allowed. Bet they would change their tune real quick.

bullockalayna14

9 points

13 days ago

I make $15/hour 40 hours a week and I’m still barely making it by.

knightress_oxhide

15 points

13 days ago

If any senator lived on $10 an hour they would literally die in a week.

gocast

22 points

gocast

Michigan

22 points

13 days ago

Goddamn right. Just look at production versus wage over the last 50 years. The min wage is a dereliction.

wenchslapper

21 points

13 days ago

The more I hear about this woman, the more I can’t wait to elect her as president

ManfredsJuicedBalls

8 points

ManfredsJuicedBalls

Pennsylvania

8 points

13 days ago

I've said it in other places. Had minimum wage kept up with inflation in the first place, we wouldn't have near the discussion on it like there is now.

foogastic

7 points

13 days ago

TBH, even $15/hr isn't a "livable wage" in a lot of places. Minimum wage should be tied to a county by county consumer price index. Here in Seattle, people are living in tents while working fulltime at $20/hr.

CLor0x

7 points

CLor0x

7 points

13 days ago

I would like to see the minimum wage indexed permanently to some definition of poverty or purchasing power by region to allow it to rise without additional lawmaking. I remain concerned that 15 an hour in a big city or other hcol places like HI are still inadequate. And similarly what happens to local economies in low cost of living areas.

I believe Federal GS pay modifies your base pay by region, and readjusts periodically. Why not the same for minimum wage?

In other words I don’t think this is quite that cut and dry. fortunately some states can and do legislate their own minimum wage (CA,MA,NY) in excess of the federal minimum.

IneverRememberThese8

19 points

13 days ago

If this is the game we are going to play then can we get a group to say we need it at $25 to keep up with inflation and we will meet at $20.

Fuck this meet in the middle try it and take a step back and make them come forward. So fucking lame this country sucks pay people.

lvllr

lvllr

She is right.

kalas_malarious

kalas_malarious

Michigan

13 days ago

Several states have minimum wages over that NOW or will be over that soon. That is also taking it SLOW, when people need a living wage now. I am already unhappy the 15$ goal is 2025, not March.

netsettler

13 days ago

A company that can't profit if it doesn't underpay its workers is profiting on its employees, not on its product.

I've advocated that workers for companies paying below a living wage should be seen as being in a kind of startup mode (even non-tech companies with a longer ramp-up time for non-VC situations even though I know 'startup' isn't always used that way), where just like any investor in a company hoping to achieve real profitability, they are paid what amounts to sweat equity in compensation for the unpaid part of their labor. (See my article Lien Times for Startups.)

muddawgmirk

5 points

13 days ago

Imagine being a normal to low income person and letting conservatives trick you with religion and hate driven fear into thinking free healthcare and a reasonable living wage are bad for you lmao. Wtf is going on

EvanescentProfits

15 points

13 days ago

Needs to be adjusted for metro cost of living index. $10 in the hills of West Virginia is a lot more than $10 where AOC comes from.

Then again, $10 in West Virginia is pretty much legislated poverty, so I agree with AOC, too.

seanpeery

9 points

13 days ago

Federal minimum is the absolute minimum. You are supposed to be considering what the cost of living is in the middle of butt fuck nowehere.

For places like cities, that is on local laws to enforce. Cities can require higher wages than fed min. Contact you local reps for those changes, they are much easier and faster to implement as well.

brettorlob

15 points

13 days ago

Let's just go back to how we did it when we used to peg minimum wage increases to inflation, and extrapolate what it should be and make the minimum wage $24 an hour.

AedanRoberts

11 points

13 days ago

Also: 15$/hour is already drastically below what the minimum wage should ACTUALLY be at when adjusting for inflation and other factors.